Monday 16 September 2024

Summer 2024

It has been some time since I posted on the blog.  Some games have been taking place, but I just haven't got around to reporting them.  Being summer other commitments come to the fore and so this is by way of a postcard from my travels.

At the Riverside Museum in Glasgow I came across this display featuring the Glasgow built ships which ran the Union blockade to trade with the Confederate states,




The last picture was a trip down memory lane.  Way back in my youth a company which produced bubblegum decided to boost sales by including rather graphic picture cards depicting the ACW.  In addition the packs included facsimiles of Confederate currency.  Now I have never liked bubblegum, but like all my classmates I collected the cards and the money.  The latter was used in games of pontoon, fortunately not leading to a life of gambling.

I have posted about the Riverside Museum before, and included photos of ship models, but here are two more



On another day, further west we visited Tarbert on Loch Fyne.  Of interest to me here were the remains of the castle.




It was quite a climb, but the view over the harbour was worth it




Earlier ion the summer we went to Cornwall and while there we visited St Michael's Mount.  In the museum there were several artefacts collected by the family.

Flag captured at the battle of El Teb



A shield from the same source

1 comment:

  1. Some very interesting stuff on show, the ACW cards and money fair brought me back to my youth, we all loved those cards, the more gruesome the better!! The money was good fun too and was used a lot in our games, great stuff!

    ReplyDelete