Sunday 9 October 2022

The Battle of Princeton

For a recent game, Steve devised a scenario for Rebels and Patriots covering the battle of Princeton.  This took place in the days following Washington's crossing of the Delaware and was a meeting engagement, with neither side anticipating meeting any enemy troops.  A loyalist force, commanded by Charles Mawhood was marching south towards Trenton to join the main force commanded by Cornwallis.  When the loyalist troops were spotted near William Clarke's farm, Washington ordered Mercer's brigade to investigate.  

The Loyalist force covers the road to Trenton

Mercer's brigade prepares to advance

A roll of the dice decreed that I should command the Revolutionary forces and I prepared to advance.  However, my opponent, Bob, won the initiative and opened up with his artillery.  His target was a lone battalion on my left flank which was covering the advance of John Cadwalader's brigade.  The first rounds caused two casualties and my required morale test was failed; meaning the unit fell back and needed to rally in my phase of the first turn.  I rolled double one (not the only occasion this would happen in the game), another failure and the unit routed from the table having neither advanced nor even fired a volley.

My first rout of the game

This was doubly unfortunate, not only did I lose one of my few 'continental' units, but it also allowed Bob to concentrate his fire on Mercer's brigade; which he did with telling results.

Mercer's advance was slow and disjointed (yet more low dice results) meaning that my leading unit was always subjected to the fire of several opposing units.  Losses increased and although my volleys did inflict some damage, it was not enough to slacken the incoming fire.

It was a relief therefore when Cadwalader's brigade arrived; but yet again failing the test to move hampered the advance and once again the Loyalist artillery inflicted heavy damage.  Washington arrived with yet more reinforcements and I attempted to outflank the left of the Loyalist line and cut the route to Trenton.  My artillery was of a lighter calibre than that of the Loyalists and I therefore decided to move it forward to try and engage in some counter-battery fire.  On reflection this was probably a mistake.  Not only did the artillery suffer the (by now) usual failure to move, but whilst moving it presented a concentrated target.  Seemingly laser-guided shot from the Loyalist artillery battered my artillery and before it could even fire a round in anger it failed two morale tests and routed from the field.

One advantage I did have was numbers, I outnumbered the Loyalists by almost 4:1 and eventually even I managed to get some units into musketry range.  They did their best, but the losses they had received in the advance were such that their volleys lacked real power and the d****d Loyalists clung resolutely to their ridge.  My last chance was the outflanking manoeuvre; but when the troops got into position they hesitated to fire (yet more double ones) and paid dearly for it.  A couple of quick volleys and a bayonet charge from the Loyalist foot and my lads were 'running for the hills'

The final push fails

Overall a convincing (overwhelming may be more accurate) victory for the Crown, but would things change when we reconvened after lunch and changed sides?

I felt reasonably confident as we started the return match, Bob had triumphed hadn't he and although I recognised he was unlikely to throw low dice as often as I had, I had quality on my side.  Bob won the initiative and began to move.  I watched as his units moved forward with a cohesion I had failed to achieve.  The Loyalist artillery seemed to have decided their work was done and missed more often than they hit.  Enemy riflemen established themselves in an orchard close to my centre and began whittling away at the thin red line holding the ridge.  As the militia regiments came closer I saw an opportunity to launch a bayonet charge.  Now, in Rebels and Patriots you charge the number of inches equal to your command roll.  I needed a '7', an average score and also the most likely.  It was a six.  So I dutifully moved forward the distance and stopped.  In his phase Bob fired a volley and the tattered remains of my unit broke and ran.  This loss increased the pressure on my centre and the situation was not helped by having to send the grenadiers off to the right to cover a move by Cadwalader's brigade to cut the road.

The end was in sight and with another of my units failing its morale test and fleeing there was nothing to prevent the road falling into enemy hands.

Even though I lost twice we had an enjoyable days gaming, with much friendly banter.  Many thanks to Steve for setting up the scenario and hosting the game.  For those who may wonder, my eventual tally of double 1's for the day ended at 16.  Not too bad when you bear in mind that things tend to even out and I could therefore be free of them for a game or two?

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Mark. Thanks for dropping by

      Regards

      David

      Delete
  2. Very good, would you take this to a show as a demo game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm. Unfortunately, the game is unlikely to get to a show as we mostly attend as part of the Lance & Longbow Society and our games are set in the period covered by the society members interests.

      Regards

      David

      Delete
  3. Sixteen double ones? That *has* to be some kind of a record!
    Each to his own, but I do not like the mechanic of failed initiative equally no movement (even if a force was on the move previously). I appreciate that it is more about the management of time than space, but one wants to be able to move the troops and to lose due to your own mistakes and/or stupidity, rather than because the forces were not there or came in piecemeal (due to a completely random 'force').
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete